Affiliation: Suzhou Institute of Nano-Tech and Nano-Bionics, Chinese Academy of Sciences
Contact: +86-512-62872721 firstname.lastname@example.org
Qian Sun received the B.S. degree in Material Physics and the B. Eng. degree in Computer Science & Engineering from University of Science & Technology of China (USTC). He received his M. Eng. degree in Microelectronics & Solid State Electronics from Institute of Semiconductors, Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) and his M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Electrical Engineering from Yale University. He was with Bridgelux Inc., Livermore, California, where he made the key contribution to the R&D of 160 lm/W GaN-based LED grown on 8-inch Si substrates. He currently is a professor at Suzhou Institute of Nano-Tech and Nano-Bionics (SINANO), Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), Suzhou, China. He leads a team working on GaN-on-Si research for blue/green/UV LEDs, laser diodes, and power electronics. He was the recipient of the National Technological Invention Award (2015) from the Chinese Central Government, the Exceptional Youth Award (2015) from the National Natural Science Foundation (NSF) of China, the 'Innovative Talent' Award (2012) from the Jiangsu Province Government, the National '1000 Young Talents' Award (2011) from the Chinese Central Government, Henry Prentiss Becton Prize (2010) from Yale University, Outstanding Self-financed Students Abroad Award (2009) from Chinese Government, and Guo Moruo Presidential Award (2002) from USTC. He holds 5 PCT patents and over 20 China patents, and has authored/co-authored over 70 peer-reviewed international journal publications and a book chapter.
1. Heteroepitaxy of III-Nitride semiconductors on Si substrates
2. GaN-on-Si Optoelectronics, including blue/green/UV LEDs and laser diodes
3. GaN-on-Si Power Electronics, including HEMT, SBD, PiN, and JBS
Current Research Projects
the National Key R&D Program (Grant No. 2016YFB0400104), the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant Nos. 61534007, 61404156, 61522407, and 61604168), the Key Frontier Scientific Research Program of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (Grant No. QYZDB-SSW-JSC014), the Science and Technology Service Network Initiative of the Chinese Academy of Sciences
1. Yi Sun, Kun Zhou, Qian Sun*, Jianping Liu, Meixin Feng, Zengcheng Li, Yu Zhou, Liqun Zhang, Deyao Li, Shuming Zhang, Masao Ikeda, Sheng Liu and Hui Yang; "Room-temperature continuous-wave electrically injected InGaN-based laser directly grown on Si", Nature Photonics 10, 595-599 (2016).
2. Qian Sun*, Wei Yan, Meixin Feng, Zengcheng Li, Bo Feng, Hanmin Zhao, and Hui Yang, " GaN-on-Si Blue/White LEDs: Epitaxy, Chip, and Package", Journal of Semiconductors, 37, 044006 (2016).
3. Q. Sun, C. D. Yerino, T.-S. Ko, Y. S. Cho, I.-H. Lee, J. Han, and M. E. Coltrin; “Understanding nonpolar GaN growth through kinetic Wulff plots”, Journal of Applied Physics 104, 093523 (2008).
4. Q. Sun, Y. S. Cho, I.-H. Lee, J. Han, B. H. Kong, and H. K. Cho; “Nitrogen-polar GaN growth evolution on c-plane sapphire”, Applied Physics Letters 93, 131912 (2008).
5. Q. Sun, B. Leung, C. D. Yerino, Y. Zhang, and J. Han; “Improving microstructural quality of semipolar (1122) GaN on m-plane sapphire by a two-step growth process”, Applied Physics Letters 95, 231904 (2009).